Collateral Consequences of a PA Sex Crimes Conviction
A conviction for a Pennsylvania sex crime will have serious repercussions that extend much deeper into your life than you might think. Everybody knows about criminal penalties such as incarceration and fines, but many are surprised to learn about the collateral consequences that you face after a criminal conviction. These refer to the consequences that flow from having a criminal conviction on your record, such as restricted employment opportunities. And when it comes to sex crimes, these collateral consequences are severe and sometimes permanent.
When a prosecutor offers you a plea deal, they’ll usually dangle the prospect of a reduced sentence or a conviction for a lesser offense. What they won’t tell you is that by accepting a plea deal, you’re essentially signing up for collateral consequences that can ruin your personal and professional lives. For this reason, it’s essential that you do not accept a plea agreement before speaking with an experienced Pittsburgh criminal defense lawyer. If you’ve been charged with a sex crime, call Worgul, Sarna & Ness, Criminal Defense Attorneys, LLC now at (412) 281-2146 for a free consultation.
Sex Offenders Face the Harshest Collateral Consequences
The collateral consequences of any criminal conviction can put the brakes on your dreams, but the collateral consequences of a sex crimes conviction can make your life a nightmare. The consequences can include:
- A Ruined Reputation–Your criminal record is publically available. Furthermore, many sex offenders are required to register on a government-run database that will include your photo, place of employment, license plate, home address, and even your email address and social media accounts. As a result, you may lose old friendships and be unable to make new ones. Landlords may be unwilling to rent you an apartment, and as sex offender, you may be banned from living anywhere near schools or playgrounds.
- A Compromised Career–Most employers perform background checks on candidates, and finding out about a sex crime conviction is usually a deal breaker. If your profession is governed by a licensing board, they may decide to suspend your license if they learn of the conviction. Finally, sex offenders are legally barred from certain professions such as child care.
- Loss of Civil Rights–If convicted of a felony level sex offense, you will permanently lose your right to own firearms. You will lose the right to vote, but this right is restored once you get out of prison. And as a felon, you will no longer be allowed to serve on a jury.
- Restricted Access to Public Aid–Whether you need to apply for financial aid for college, or you need housing assistance to put a roof over your head, you will find that your criminal conviction can severely limit your options.
- Immigration Problems–Federal law prohibits non citizens who have been charged with a crime of “moral turpitude” from getting access to certain visas or residence permits. The definition of this type of offense is vague, but it includes most sex crimes. This means that as a non citizen you could face deportation after a sex crimes conviction.
After a sex crimes conviction, you could lose everything: your job, your home, your friends, your rights, and even your legal right to remain in the country. This is why you should make every effort to beat the charges while you still can. If you have been charged with a sex crime, do not talk with the police and do not accept a plea deal until you have spoken with an experienced legal professional.
A Lawyer Can Help You Avoid the Consequences of a Sex Crimes Conviction
At Worgul, Sarna & Ness, Criminal Defense Attorneys, LLC we have a proven track record of obtaining good outcomes for our clients in high stakes cases. If you have been charged with a sex crime, we will pursue every possible avenue for proving your innocence, and ensure that your rights are respected at every step of the criminal justice process. For a free and confidential consultation about your case, call us today at (412) 281-2146.