Pittsburgh Sex Crimes Attorneys
Allegations of a sex crime can turn your world upside down. It’s best to learn more about how these cases are handled and what I can do to help you move past this.
If you or a family member have been accused for a sex crime, you may feel angry, humiliated and depressed.
You may be especially upset because you believe what happened was consensual. Or you may have been caught in a police sting operation. You are probably concerned about what will happen next.
The repercussions of a sex crime conviction are especially far-reaching. Your sentence may include years in prison and a steep fine, however the damaging effects won’t stop there. You may have to register as a sexual offender and have your identification and address posted on the Internet where it can be seen by people throughout the country. Everyone from your employer to your friends and neighbors will know that you have been labeled as an offender, and you will be stigmatized for years to come.
Working with an experienced defense attorney can help you avoid some of the harshest repercussions of a sex crime charge.
An Attorney Will Give You The Counsel You Need
As you likely already realize, being charged with a sex crime has ramifications as soon as you’re charged. Not only do you have upsetting and stressful conversations to face, but you also have to deal with the police, the courts, and possibly even the public. You could be attacked personally and professionally even if you didn’t do anything. It’s simple – you need an experienced Pittsburgh sex crimes attorney to help defend you.
You have enough on your plate with your family and the other people who are important in your life. Let me handle the police and the prosecutors. There are a few things you should make sure you’re aware of:
- When you speak to the police, make sure that I am always there. You might want to try to explain something, but the police will likely find something to take out of context and use against you.
- Do not try to contact the victim. This can be extremely complicated, but now is the time to collect yourself and stay level-headed before your court appearances.
Strong Defense for Sex Crimes
Frequently in sex crimes cases, there is written, photographic, and chemical evidence. I have many years of experience at reviewing these kinds of evidence and determining whether or not pieces of evidence can be used in the allegations against you. Part of this is because evidence may be dismissed or suppressed if it was obtained illegally. I may also be able to suppress some testimony that you gave the police if the police did not read you your rights or if they pressed you to speak even if you asked for an attorney. Please give me a call today so we can go over the details of your case to craft a defense strategy.
Scope of Sex Crimes
In Pittsburgh, sex crimes include everything from being arrested by undercover police for trying to hire a prostitute to downloading child pornography.
- Rape — What to expect if you are charged with rape.
- Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse — How IDSI differs from rape.
- Sexual Assault — The consequences of a sexual assault charge.
- Indecent Assault — What happens if you are charged with indecent assault.
- Indecent Exposure/Lewdness — The penalties for indecent exposure and your defense.
- Child Pornography — What to expect if you are charged with possessing chid pornography.
- Unlawful Contact with a Minor — Online solicitation to meet a minor for sex and how it can hurt you.
- Incest — The implications of an incest charge.
- Prostitution — The consequences of being arrested for prostitution or for hiring a prostitute.
- Failure to Register — What to expect if you fail to comply with your requirement to register as a sexual offender.
- Obscene Materials — An overview of obscene materials.