PA Sex Offender Registry & Failure to Register | Worgul, Sarna & Ness, Criminal Defense Attorneys

Call (412) 281-2146 today

Although it is humiliating and depressing to have to register as a sex offender, if you have been ordered to register and do not comply with your requirements, you could be sent back to prison. Even if you are no longer under the jurisdiction of the court that issued the order for you to register, you still have to comply.

If you are arrested for failing to register, is essential to hire an attorney who is experienced in the stipulations of the Sexual Offender Registration and Notification Act.

Failure to Register for Sex Offender Status

If your original conviction stipulated that you are subject to registration as a sex offender, you are required to comply with the law and register with the Pennsylvania State Police. The law makes it clear that sex offenders have to register so that the public can find out through the Internet where you reside, go to school, and are employed.

If you fail to comply with the terms of your registry and accurately supply the information required, you can be charged with a felony.

When You Do Not Receive A Notice To Register

If the Pennsylvania State Police fail to send you a notice or information about registering, you cannot use this as a defense. You still need to register whether you receive a notice or not.

What Pennsylvania Law Says About Sex Crimes

A person subject to registration commits an offense failure to comply if he or she fails to register with the Pennsylvania State Police, fails to verify his or her address or be photographed, or fails to provide accurate information.

Steps To Take If You Have Been Charged

If you have been charged with a failure to register offense, your first step should be to hire an attorney who can help you avoid further prosecution for sex-related charges and keep you from having to pay more in fines and spend more time in jail. You should only speak with the police or prosecutors if your attorney is present.

When you meet with your Pittsburgh sex crime lawyer, give them as much information as you can about your original offense as well as your failure to register.

Questions? Contact me.

Your rights are at stake and you need the best defense to keep them. I will fight using the strongest defense available to get your Failure to Register charge reduced or dismissed so you can move on with your life.

(412) 281-2146 or